Sunday, September 05, 2010

God's Laughter

Someone once asked me if I thought God ever laughed. He and I grew up in the Baptist tradition, both taught to conjure up images of God with lightening in one fist and a big stick in the other. It was not a breezy, carefree question he was asking. It was one that was intrinsically responsible for the underpinning of the rest of his faith.

I said that I do think God laughs. All the time. Every day. Little kid giggles. Deep belly laughs – you know the kind that make you struggle to breathe? God has smiles that communicate knowledge of our situation, smiles of an assured love that cause a shake of his head as he watches us struggle.

I believe that God cackles, guffaws, titters, snickers and maybe even snorts. Wouldn't you if you were somewhere, watching this motley crew?

Mostly, I think God laughs when he sees my pious, outward struggle for holiness, mostly because all he really wants is my heart.

I think God might be a little prejudiced.
For once He asked me to join Him on a walk
through this world,

and we gazed into every heart on this earth,
and I noticed He lingered a bit longer
before any face that was
weeping,

and before any eyes that were
laughing.

And sometimes when we passed
a soul in worship

God too would kneel down.

I have come to learn: God
adores His
creation.

~ St. Francis of Asissi

1 comment:

Eryn said...

I like the concept of your blog. Check me out too at www.RighteousYogini.com