Thursday, January 01, 2009

An Interesting Start to the New Year

When the dogs got me up at 6:45 this morning I went downstairs to find Ali standing in the bathroom. It took her about 4 seconds to announce that we were headed to the ER. She hadn't been feeling well on New Year's Eve and I knew she thought she was getting a bladder infection.

Turns out it's a 4mm kidney stone.

I've never had one and neither had she. It's. Not. Fun.

Fortunately, Vicodin seems to be working quite well. It's been a day of waiting, popping pain pills, straining pee through a little cone sieve and sleeping. Did I mention the waiting? It could be two or three days until the little thing makes it's exit.

Feeling a little helpless, I think I'm hovering too much. It's just frustrating to witness pain and not be able to help very much. I asked her what sounded good for dinner. I knew what she would say before I asked. It's her favorite comfort food. She asked for Chicken and Noodles.

It's a recipe I've been working at for a long time. I love it and always wish it had a little more depth of flavor. I fiddled with it again today and this time I think it's perfect. So, I'll share! 

1 fryer chicken, cut into parts
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt
4 carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 onion, diced
6 T. butter
6 T. flour
4 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. thyme
uncooked egg noodles
1/2 cup heavy cream

Rinse and dry chicken parts. Season well with salt and pepper. Heat oil to VERY hot in heavy dutch oven. Sear chicken pieces on both sides for 5-8 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Add butter, salt and chopped vegetables. Deglaze pan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken stock and spices. Place chicken back in pan and cook over low heat, covered, for one hour.

Remove chicken and allow to cool while cooking noodles in the sauce in pan. Debone and chop chicken. Remove bay leaves. Add chicken back to pan when noodles are done. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This was SO GOOD! Browning the chicken and then cooking everything in the same pan adds a huge boost to the flavor. We both like it ladled over mashed potatoes in a bowl, eaten with a spoon! It was so good Ali at two bowls. 

Now, if it would just invite a certain little stone out and into the world we would all feel a lot better!

No comments: