Wednesday, July 16, 2008

An Old Friend

I've found an old friend. . .


I haven't knit a lot since we moved into our new house in March. There was just so much to do to get settled in. Then I found some new and interesting activities like sewing and beading that I dabbled in for awhile. But a few weeks ago I returned to my old friends the knitting needles.

This is what brought me back.

As Republicans tell me that this economic downturn is "all in my head" and the price of everything continues to climb while my wages do not, it's easy to get overwhelmed. The cost to heat our homes this winter is estimated to rise as much as 30% in some parts of the United States. It's becoming more and more common for people to keep the thermostats in their homes set below 60 degrees in the winter. For some of us, all of this is just an inconvenience and an aggravation. For others in our communities, this is a crisis.

I can't solve this energy mess. But I can knit warm things. So, I do. And I have to believe that it will make a difference, not just for an individual, but someone it can help the world.

I finished this very large scarf/shawl yesterday afternoon and it's already on its way to Maine. I pray that it warms that heart and body of someone very special this winter!

No comments: