Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More Thoughts on Prayer & Stones

As I continue to use my strand of prayer beads I am amazed at the ways God uses even the smallest objects to communicate in our world. As I was meditating and using the beads for breath prayer this morning I was looking out the window in my small meditation corner. It looks into the flower garden where more and more plants continue to emerge and show their glory to the world. There was a finch in the lilac bush and I could hear a cardinal not far away. On each breath I repeated my silent chant – "I AM" – the Old Testament name for God.

My mind was clear. My fingers were slowing traveling around the circle of the Rosary I created. I felt peaceful and embraced by God's love.

As my meditation time ended I was aware that two Bible passages had come to mind. I think both are related to this idea of using stones as a prayer tool. The first is from Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, on what we would celebrate as Palm Sunday.

"Right at the crest, where Mount Olives begins its descent, the whole crowd of disciples burst into enthusiastic praise over all the mighty works they had witnessed:
Blessed is he who comes,
the king in God's name!
All's well in heaven!
Glory in the high places!

Some Pharisees from the crowd told him, "Teacher, get your disciples under control!" But he said, "If they kept quiet, even the stones would shout out, crying praise."

The second passage that came to mind is from 1 Peter 2 – "You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood."

Prayer is so personal and so holy. Listening for God to speak to me has become so much more important than whatever it is that I might have to say to God, most of which is selfish and small. I think perhaps that these two passages will become part of my next prayer for the Anglican Rosary – as each small stone slips through my fingers.

Kimberly Winston, the author of the book "Bead One, Pray Too" that I referenced in yesterday's post left a very gracious compliment in yesterday's comments. She also posted a link on her website www.kimberlywinston.wordpress.com linking here! Visit her website. . .it's full of prayers and inspirations!

No comments: