Wednesday, December 06, 2006

100 Things About Me • Part 2

26. I hate cold weather and snow. Well, maybe I like the first snow of the year when everything is clean and white. . .but after that – I. AM. DONE. WITH. WINTER.

27. I’ve always wanted a sister with whom I could giggle, share secrets and generally be silly. I finally found a sister in my chosen, not biological, family.

28. Feeding the birds brings me great joy. I’m not sure why. It makes me feel like a good caretaker of creation.

29. The trait that I like the least in human beings is the propensity to not speak the truth. If you have done it, admit it. If you think it, say it. If you say it, mean it. I find wishy-washy people intolerable.

30. My favorite type of ethnic food is Thai. Hot.

31. Vegetable gardening is my favorite way to spend a summer afternoon. We once grew 40 varieties of tomatoes, collard greens, 12 varieties of eggplant, brussel sprouts and okra. It was a blast!

32. The easiest way for me to worship God is through music. Good sermons are a spectacular creation of words and images that spark my intellect, but good music moves my soul.

33. Turning 40 was easier than turning 30.

34. For about 38 years I allowed various people and voices to live in my head and decide what I like, what I wear, what I listen to, how I view the world and above all, how I view myself. One day I said, “Today's eviction day, folks. Get out.” It’s a much quieter, more peaceful, more centered place in my head now. There’s a lot more room to just be.

35. I like to sing. I’m not all that good at it, but I do it anyway.

36. Every day I try to make a conscious decision to do at least one thing to take care of myself. I do it to make myself feel good and loved. Today I’m going to find the time to read a new cooking magazine.

37. I swear. I cuss. I use naughty language. Sometimes I even do it in my sermons. Mostly I do it because sometimes the only way to communicate the intensity of feeling that I have on any particular subject is to inject a *?@**!# or two.

38. I’m addicted to coffee.

39. Getting old scares me.

40. I appear to be more organized than I really am.

41. I wish I had enough time to take yoga class. In Toledo I found the best yoga teacher who taught me to integrate my breath and my mind. It was the most liberating, powerful thing I’ve ever done.

42. I love McDonald’s. I know, I know. . .I read “Fast Food Nation.” I still love McDonald’s.

43. I work in graphic arts and own a cleaning company. Neither of those things is my passion. I’m OK with doing those things just to pay the bills. They don’t give me my identity.

44. The best meal I ever ate was an omelet and toast that I cooked myself. While I ate it alone, I read the Stephen King book “It.” I have no idea why that meal sticks in my mind. It must have been 19 years ago.

45. The second best meal I ever ate was in a small restaurant in Chicago with Venessa, Jeff and Scott. I don’t know the name of the restaurant. I can’t even remember what I ate. I just remember what a nice evening it was and how good the food tasted at the time.

46. If I could start my “career” all over I think I would like to be a chef. Or a crime scene investigator.

47. I can’t dance. The last time I remember feeling comfortable on the dance floor was when I was four and standing on my grandfather’s feet as he did all the dancing. He bought me all the Shirley Temple’s I could drink and didn’t make me feel guilty for wanting more.

48. I want to see my grandfather “Pop” in heaven. I didn’t get too see enough of him while we were both on earth. I hope he’ll buy me another Shirley Temple.

49. I wish I had kept a diary of my life.

50. “Tiny Bubbles” is one of my favorite songs.

No comments: