Monday, January 02, 2012

i did

I'm not sorry to see 2011 go. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment but, as a person who tries to be a "glass half full" kind of girl, it's tough for me to admit that 2011 was mostly a "glass half empty" kind of year.

Rather than dwell on all the things that 2011 wasn't, I'd like to release it with some kind of dignity and move on. I feel no need to critique, scold or berate myself any longer. {i'm quite sure I will have plenty of opportunity to do that later. . .}

Every brand new year offers this rush of optimization, tweaking, improvements and overhauls. It's all too much, too quick. So here I sit, wanting to honor 2011 while dipping my toes carefully into 2012 and not getting overwhelmed. My solution is to make a 2011 "i did" list. {and there won't be a single "i didn't" to be found!}

here's what i did in 2011 {in no particular order. . .}

1. i told the truth. not always easy but quite spiritually freeing.

2. i struggled with depression but i'm pretty sure it didn't win.

3. i accepted the challenge from my pastor {his facebook words might not have been directed at me, but i felt the sting of conviction in them, so they might as well have been} and i stepped up when he said, "those who are content will never effect change. those who are discontent and walk away from the problem won't either. be part of the solution."

4. i studied my mistakes. i pray that i learned life lessons from them.

5. i laughed. often at myself.

6. i wrote.

7. i won a blue ribbon for photography.

8. i read a lot of books.

9. i almost became a mama.

10. i "kept calm and carried on."

11. i mostly quit watching television.

12. i got a new job that just might have been my salvation.

13. i made new friends.

14. i kept my old friends, at least all the ones i started 2011 with.

15. i survived.

See ya later, 2011. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. . .

No comments: