Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Conflicted

I awoke yesterday to the news of Osama bin Laden's death. {i go to bed early} I found it on Facebook. The first message I saw was from a friend who I've known a long time. I've known her to have strong Christian faith and values. Her post read, "Thank God the bastard is dead."

It kind of made me gasp. And it set my mind whirling. My heart became uneasy.

Osama Bin Laden orchestrated unspeakable acts of violence, terror and death. {yes. i was there.} He was an enemy of the state, an enemy of peace, and a man who sold out to a misconstrued theology of the teachings of the Holy Quran.

He was also a human that was created by God. The same God that created me. And you.

My heart still feels heavy this morning.

What is my posture supposed to be when something like this happens? So I did what we do in 2011 when we are confused. I went to Facebook.

Me: I'm conflicted. Is anyone beyond redemption? Is that even our decision to make? Or do actions prove that someone is so evil that they can never be loved back into relationship with good? I don't expect answers. It's just what's on my mind.

G.A.: I don't think anyone is beyond redemption. Keep hope alive!

T.W.: I'm disturbed that American patriotism has superseded the sanctity of human life. I understand the pain associated with 9/11, but I don't see how this definition of justice is celebrated or justified.

Me: My only response can be humbleness before the only one who can judge. . . and I am not S/He.

H.K.: Preach It, Sister!

R.F.: This is exactly what I've been thinking. I hate to rejoice in the death of any human being. Doesn't that make us just like "them"?

R.C.: I had a great prof in college talking about how if we lose our perspective we eventually, on some level, begin to become what we hate...thanks, Tanya, for putting words to my gut this AM

D.R.: Wow, it took an elusive decade to kill a man, making him a martyr among his zealot followers. I wonder how long it will take to kill a myth?

And I read a few more posts.

N.R.
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." —MLK

J.S.
Now I lay me down to sleep, one less terrorist this world does keep. With all my heart I give my thanks, to those in uniform regardless of ranks. You serve our country and serve it well, with humble hearts your stories tell. So as I rest my weary eyes, while freedom rings our flag still flies. You.. give your all, do what you must...with God we live and God we trust.

And I close my computer screen and my heart is still heavy. Moments like these find the prayer uttered from my heart can only be, "Lord, teach us to love."

No comments: