Monday, September 27, 2010

I'll Have A Double Buttermilk Please

After having an incredibly bad week all I craved this weekend were comfort foods. These are foods that soothe my spirit and remind me of times when life was simple and all it took to heal a broken heart was cinnamon toast and someone to hug me.

My own personal comfort food list would have to include meatloaf, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, chili along side peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and of course, pie. When I planned this week's menu and made my grocery list I was surprised to see that almost all those things were on tap for the next seven days.

And that sparked my imagination.

I don't know a whole lot about psychology. All I know is that when I am very upset I turn to eating food I used to eat as a little girl. Then I started thinking – it's too bad they don't serve it in bars. I could slam into some beer joint, collapse onto a barstool, slap some money onto the counter and bark, "Bring me a double buttermilk, garnished with some green onions and a side of cornbread.* And keep 'em comin'!"

If there were someplace like that, really. . .Who needs beer??


* When I was a very little girl my great-uncle Claiborn used to carry me around my Mamaw's yard in the Appalachian Mountains of Coeburn, Virginia. He caught butterflies for me. He also taught me to crumble leftover cornbread in a glass of buttermilk. We ate it using long, iced tea spoons, accompanied by green onions fresh from her garden. He was a sweet, loving man to that little girl.

No comments: