Monday, August 23, 2010

Why Don't You Spank My Butt?

Ali is famous for making up her own lyrics when she doesn't know the "real" words. Following is a short vignette from my life.

Setting: Early Sunday evening, our living room. We're tired.

Ali is working on a jigsaw puzzle. Preseason football is on TV. I'm laying on the couch with Oliver. I'm not paying much attention to Ali, who is singing (rather loudly) but I'm kind of immune to it after three and half years. She's always singing.

Ali: "Why do you build me up
(build me up)
Buttercup, baby
Just to let me down
(let me down)"

That's all of the song she knows so it's become kind of a general looping background soundtrack to the football game.

Until it suddenly morphs. . .
"Why don't you spank my butt
(spank my butt)
Baby, Buttercup
Spank my butt"

She never missed a beat, never looked up from her puzzle and never gave any indication that she even noticed what she was singing. I let her repeat it two or three times before I couldn't control my laughter any longer. We laughed until our stomachs hurt and Oliver got so annoyed he went upstairs.

There are very few dull moments around here.

No comments: