Monday, August 02, 2010

Making Art


I hesitate to call anything that I do art. For me, there is such baggage associated with that word. I'm taken immediately to 7th grade art class where everyone was busy drawing something original and interesting and I was desperately sweating, blank page in front of me, with a baffled brain devoid of any inspiration. I hopelessly was trying to catch a glimpse of what the person next to me was drawing and it turned out to be a page full of mushrooms with fingerprints turned into little mice.

I shamelessly copied that drawing. Right down to the curly mouse tails and red spots on the mushrooms.

I got a D-. And I came to believe that I couldn't "make art."

I can't draw to save my life and painting is too scary to even contemplate. To me – sewing, knitting, writing, photography and cooking have always fallen under the category of "craft." I can't be an artist – all I can do is play with words, push a camera shutter release or turn yarn into fabric.

But what if my definitions of art and craft need further exploration?

I have traditionally thought of craft as having instructions and art as something that came directly out of one's imagination. If there was a prompt, an inspiration or a challenge to create it must have been a craft because it wasn't something that came "naturally."

Maybe that needs some more thought.

Here's what I'm wrestling with now:

Maybe what distinguishes art from craft is the need to create beauty based on what you are as a human being. If I make a bowl because I need a drink and make a purely functional bowl, that's an example of a craft. If I make a bowl and carve flowers in it with a design and paint it by hand with scene from childhood, that is art.

If I take words and record them without a sense of poetry or image it might be craft. If I wrestle with words until they arrange themselves into a beautiful representation of who I am as a person, all the things I see and feel and a likeness of the world in an exact moment of time, perhaps that is art.

And perhaps what truly differentiates craft from art may be need – the need to express myself, to put images to my experiences and ideas with words. Perhaps that could be a definition of art after all.

How about you? What's your definition of art?

1 comment:

Frank Wilson said...

Last week I was photographing a grain elevator in McComb, OH. I was standing beside a railroad track and just taking some generic shots, almost like a tourist, when a train came blasting down the track. Immediately, my viewfinder came alive with speed and colors and angles and I think at the point I noticed all that was going on it became art. At least it suddenly felt like art . . . and I get excited when that happens. It's hard to describe but you know it and you feel it.