Sunday, June 27, 2010

Morning Silence

Mornings are my bliss. I can't remember how many years ago it was that I stopped waking to the sound of an alarm clock. I'm usually up between 4:30 and 5:00 and I dearly love the quiet of daybreak. I enjoy coffee on the porch in the summer and watching the world slowly waken.

This morning, for the first time ever, I decided to venture out to Van Buren State Park with my camera just as the sun was coming up. I was the only one wandering around the lake and it was such a peaceful hour alone. After walking for about a half hour and snapping things that seemed interesting to me, I parked myself on a picnic table at the edge of the lake and decided to just be still and watch. I saw a huge carp come to the edge of the lake and feed on something living on a rotting, submerged log. A bullfrog started his moaning, melancholy call and it made me jump with surprise. I saw dragonflies dancing on the water.

And, eventually in the silence, I was rewarded with this.


For sure, I'm a morning kind of girl.

1 comment:

Frank Wilson said...

I hate to invite in competition but you've gotta enter this at the Fair. You get me an 8X10 and I'll mount it for you. I think you have a sure winner here.