Monday, March 29, 2010

Prepare to be Amazed!

I was astonished, thunderstruck, speechless, flabbergasted and bowled over.

I was vaguely aware that somewhere I had read that you could turn an overly ripe, frozen banana into something that resembled ice cream. Being hungry and lazy last night I decided to give it a try. I wasn't expecting this. . .


Honest to God, I swear if I didn't know better this could pass as premium soft serve! Don't believe me?? Try it!

Here's how.

1. Take an over-ripe banana. The browner it is, the sweeter your ice cream will be. Peel it. Cut it into small chunks. (I didn't cut mine into small pieces. This was a mistake.) Put it in a plastic container and freeze it solid.

2. Get out your food processor. (I heard it works in a blender too, but I have no personal experience with that.)

3. Dump in your banana.

4. Turn on said kitchen appliance. (My huge chunks of banana were reluctant to be chopped up by my reliable, old Cuisinart food processor. They made such a violent clunking noise that it quickly dispatched both dogs and the cat to the far reaches of the upstairs bedrooms in fear. Guess that's not exactly a bad thing. . .)

5. Be patient as the blades do their work. At first the banana turns to icy chunks, then to small balls that resemble those truly horrible Dippin' Dots things. Persevere.

6. Just as you think this is the dumbest experiment ever, the magic happens. Within a second or two it turns to ice cream. Seriously!

Not being content with something so simple and uncomplicated, I decided to jazz it up just a bit. I threw in a spoonful of peanut butter and a little bit of honey. I'm thinking that a dash of vanilla couldn't hurt either.

With summer on it's way and a never ending supply of over-ripe bananas at my house, my sweet tooth (and perhaps my waistline!) might be satisfied!

1 comment:

random thougths said...

Now, just add a few strawberries... Awesome...lol