Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ice Cream Kindness

Living within a few blocks of Dairy Queen can be dangerous. Last night I was tired and cranky. I just wanted a little bit of ice cream. But, I wanted something better than DQ soft serve. Only Dietsch's was going to do. Since the ice cream was a reward for working out every day for the previous six days I decided not to completely un-do myself by driving to Dietsch's. Instead, we put our shoes and walked.

It was a good choice. My crankiness began to drain away. I ordered a single scoop of praline pecan in a cup, Ali ordered a milkshake, and as we were waiting I looked up as the door chime jingled. I recognized the older man who walked in. Several years earlier he had been employed at the warehouse where I clean. I knew he had very little money and even less education. That year, the day before Christmas he stopped me in the warehouse to wish me happy holidays. He dug in his pocket and handed me a Speedway coupon for a free cup of coffee with the words, "Merry Christmas to you! I saved my Speedway points all year so I could give everyone free coffee for Christmas."

That's the kind of creative generosity that really touches me.

He looked at me in the ice cream shop, but without recognition. The janitor is hard to place without the cart and the bucket. As I paid for our desserts I leaned toward the cashier and told him I wanted to pay for the older man's order who was in line behind me as well. I asked him to keep it a secret but to make sure he wasn't charged by anyone else.

As we walked out the door I turned to see the cashier, grinning and telling his co-workers not to charge the man in the blue t-shirt.

I don't have any idea how it turned out. I do wonder however, who got more out of it – me, John or the kid behind the counter.

We walked home slowly, enjoying the ice cream treat but enjoying the feeling of the surprise of being anonymously kind even more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.