Friday, February 06, 2009

Back to the Books - With Crackers!

I've always been a little bit ashamed of one of the things that I enjoy most.

No matter how you look at it, it's not really very cool to be a someone who enjoys making things and spending time in the kitchen. As long as I can remember I've loved to do things that involve making a house a home. There's not even a cool way to write that. . . am I a "homemaker?" I'm certainly not a "housewife." When people want to tease, either kindly or not, they call me "Martha." My dad used to call me "Becky Home-ecky."

I was thinking about that when I picked up "The I Hate to Cook Book" and "The I Hate to Cook Almanack: A Book of Days, Recipes & Relief for the Reluctant Cook and the Harried Houseperson" at an estate sale last weekend. Both books are by Peg Bracken and they are completely hysterical. Bracken wrote the majority of her works in the 1960's and 70's, in the midst of the birth of a more outspoken feminist culture.

What immediately drew me in was an essay entitled "How To Make A Graham Cracker and Why." First, she gives the recipe. It's straightforward and not too complicated. Then she writes this:

"...As to why you would ever make graham crackers when you can buy perfectly good ones cheaper, I suppose the reason is that it's rather fun if you don't have to. Fun in the way a walk in the mud can be, if you're dressed for it, or the way even cleaning a closet can be, once in a blue moon when the soul's weather is right and your mind can roam free while your hands busy themselves with a not too demanding operation.

Sometimes I wonder if those who hate domesticity so vocally ever award themselves a day like this. I mean a day to roam around in and cultivate – whether it comes up flowers, weeds or graham crackers. This kind of a day is a celebration, really, of those curious freedoms you can know – at home."

So, in celebration of the ordinary life  –  one that I still find creative, sustaining and meaningful – a recipe for Graham Crackers.

1/2 C. shortening
1 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. granulated sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 C. whole wheat flour
1 C. white flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 C. milk

Cream shortening and sugars together. Sift together all dry ingredients and add them alternately with the milk, mixing well after each addition. Chill about 20 minutes in freezer.

Divide dough into 4 equal sections. Roll each section into 1/8" thick, 5"x15" rectangle. Cut into 6 smaller rectangles, 2.5"x5". Make a long indentation down the center with a table knife and prick the surface of the dough with a fork to make the classic graham cracker indentations. 

Place rectangles on greased cookie sheets and bake in a 350 oven for 10-12 minutes, until edges are brown.

Enjoy and have a great weekend!
Love,
Martha

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since no one has ever called me "Martha" or "Becky-homecky", I think I'll stick with the store bought graham crackers!

random thougths said...

grahams are always best with a favorite frosting in the middle... gonna make us use the canned? or do we get a recipe for the good stuff, Martha? LOL

Tanya said...

There is only ONE kind. . .and carrot cake is just an excuse to eat this frosting!

Cream Cheese Frosting

Beat 8 oz. cream cheese with 5 T. softened butter and 2 tsp. vanilla until combined. Gradually add 2 c. powdered sugar that has been sifted after measuring. Continue to add more sifted powdered sugar until you reach a consistency and sweetness that fits your taste.

Try not to eat it straight out of the bowl with your fingers. . .or a spoon!

Anonymous said...

I think I might make some of these right now. If I only had some cream cheese to make the frosting too. yum yum.....