Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thrifting

Last weekend we went to the Tiffin Flea Market. Some weeks we don't see anything worth anything. Some weeks it's a score!

I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets.


The thing in the front is a hard boiled egg slicer. In a pinch I've used a french fry cutter but this is just so much more elegant! Next to it is an old tin measuring cup. It's identical to the one my mother had in the kitchen when I learned to cook. Got a little misty about that purchase.

The pan in the back is cast iron and I got it for $4. It's a cornstick pan. Each of the little indentations looks like an ear of sweetcorn. You pour cornbread batter into the hot pan and it makes little fun shaped sticks. Ali fell in love with cornsticks when we went to Shakertown. And I do make the best cornbread in the world. . .if I do say so myself!

I also found this Boston Baked Bean Pot.


It's marked "made in England" on the bottom. I plan to try it out – with this recipe – this weekend when we have friends over for dinner!

The last thing I found was this cookbook.


It's another in this series. I love the little wooden covers and quirky illustrations. This book is all about Pennsylvania Dutch cooking, but interestingly, is full of German translations of words. The cooking is quite German as well. It's plain, homestyle and sometimes a little odd.


Maybe I should serve Pretzel Soup on Saturday too? Maybe not. . .

4 comments:

random thougths said...

I've got an egg slicer just like that I use it all the time...lol. I knew I should have went to the flea market! FYI... EWW on the Petzel Soup, i read the recipe...lol.

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Those are great finds! Love the bean pot. Nothing better than a batch of baked beans!

Anonymous said...

Pretzel soup on Saturday??? I will find that damn Kirby salesman on my way into town... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Tanya,
Pennsylvania Dutch were German, not from Holland. It doesn't make any sense but that's why the recipes are German.
Sharon