Friday, July 11, 2008

Recycling

One of my methods of operating is to bite more than I can chew. I start projects that are far too complex for my limited skills. I start an exercise routine that is much too ambitious. I dream up plans and ideas that can't possibly be implemented. And, when my grand plans and schemes don't turn out the way I dreamed they would I get frustrated and never finish.

I like to think that I've curbed that little quirk as I've matured. I think we shall soon see. . .

I fell in love with this quilt:


It's made up of alternating 7" squares of a single pattern with squares cut from vintage sheets. Ever since I saw that picture I've been scouring second-hand stores for floral sheets from the 1970's and earlier. I have 27 different patterns. It's recycling at it's most fun!

Here's the start of my vintage sheet quilt:


I really don't have much of a clue what I'm doing. I do know that it will be 98x84, the dimensions to hang over the edges of a queen size bed. It will have 14 rows of 12 squares each. Cuddling up on the couch with a big warm blanket is my idea of a perfect winter evening so I didn't want to skimp on the size of this thing!

Of course I've never made a quilt before so I don't have the slightest idea how to bind it, or even quilt it for that matter! But I'm sure that I can figure it out.

The other reason that I'm excited about this quilt is that, in the past, I would have started my quilting adventures with something like this:


This time, maybe I'll have enough sense to make that my second quilt. . .

No comments: